Sunday, February 11, 2018

Christ first

In church this week we were reading scripture, 2 Corinthians 11:1-4. Verse 3 jumped out at me, which says: But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. (NIV)

This got me chasing a rabbit dealing with keeping Christ first. Keeping Christ first in our lives can be very difficult when we have so many distractions threatening to sidetrack our faith. We can lose our focus by letting our lives become overcrowded and confused. Is there anything that weakens your commitment to keep Christ first in your life? I can honestly answer yes and here goes the rabbit hole.

Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (NIV)

This verse means to turn to God first for help, not as a last resort. This helps fill my thoughts with His desires, to take His character for my pattern, to serve, and obey Him in everything. What is really important? People, objects, goals, activities, and other desires can compete for my priority. Any of these can bump God out of first place, if I do not actively choose to give Him first place in every area of my life.

Matthew 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. (NIV)

I am assured that if I give up something of value for God’s sake, I will be repaid many times over in this life, although not necessarily in the same form.

Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (NIV)

Bring honor to Christ in every aspect and activity of daily living.  As a Christian, I represent Christ at ALL TIMES. I have to ask myself, “What impression do people have of Christ when they meet, see or talk to me?”

1 Peter 4:11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. (NIV)

How is God praised when I use my ability? When I use them as He directs, to help others, they will see Jesus in me and praise Him for the help they have received. Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (NIV)

John 15: 5-8 “I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can’t produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples. (MSG)

We all try to be good, honest people who do what is right. But Jesus says that the only way to live a truly good life is to stay close to Him, like a branch attached to the vine. Apart from Christ, my efforts are fruitless.

Are you receiving nourishment and life offered by Christ, the vine? If not, you are missing a special gift He has for you.

Galatians 2:20-21 What actually took place is this: I tried keeping rules and working my head off to please God, and it didn’t work. So I quit being a “law man” so that I could be God’s man. Christ’s life showed me how, and enabled me to do it. I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not “mine,” but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that. (MSG)

Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God? I refuse to do that, to repudiate God’s grace. If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily.

In my daily life, I have to regularly crucify my sinful desires that keep me from following Christ. I have Christ’s resurrection power as I continue to fight sin. If I believe that I can earn God’s favor by what I can do, then I am not trusting completely in Christ’s work on the cross. If I could be save by being good, and then Christ did not have to die. But the cross is the only way to salvation.

1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (NIV)

God’s love must permeate our motives that ALL we do will be for His glory. Keep this as a guiding principle by asking, “Is this action glorifying God?” Or “How can I honor God through this action?”

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment