Monday, December 11, 2017

Faith is like Wifi

Faith is like Wifi - it’s invisible yet it allows you to connect with what you need the most.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

What is faith?  Faith is a complete trust or confidence in someone or something or a strongly held belief or theory.

What comes to mind when you hear the word faith? To me, faith is the having strength and complete confidence in things that you may not always be able to see. Faith is believing in something, even though there may not always be proof. Faith is also trust and experience.

Do you need to see something before you can accept that it really exists or occurs?

The reality is, we don't have to understand everything about electricity or Wifi to know the lights are on and our email is working. It’s the assurance and the confidence we have in our hearts that it will work. We don’t need to understand the mechanics.

Hebrews 11: 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Have you ever seen electricity? No you haven’t, but you have seen the effects of electricity. You turn on a switch and a light comes on. That’s the effect.

Have you ever seen the wind? No you haven’t you have seen the effects. The flag blowing, a sand storm or trash flying through the air. That is the effect of the wind.
You cannot see these things but you know they exist by their effects.

Faith in God is like that. You cannot see God, but you can see His effects on this world or if you have a personal relationship with Jesus, you will personally see the effects.

I can personally attest to His effects on my life. You see back in March 1981 I gave my life to the Lord and prayed that He would take care of my career. I vividly remember having that conversation with God driving to work the next day after giving my life to the Lord. I never doubted that He would not keep that promise. I never even questioned God about the promise, because I knew He would keep it.

In June of 1981, I had my first experience of God keeping His promise. You see I am an Air Traffic Controller by trade and if you are familiar with my profession, August 3rd, 1981 is a day that will live in infamy. That was the day that the union for the controllers decided to go out on strike against the government. Almost all that struck lost their jobs. I went to work after wrestling with that decision for weeks.

God set into motion several events that led up to me making that choice. He was keeping His promise. I could go on and on about just my 40+ year career, because every single time that I was promoted or even led to take a job that required me to take a step back, I knew it was God’s promise. That’s Faith for me. He has NEVER let me down.

Romans 1:17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

May the Force be with you. How many of you are fans of Star Wars? The force is a metaphysical and ubiquitous power in the Star Wars fictional universe.  It is unseen, but they all believe in it. You see the effects of the force, both the dark side and the good side. The force most embodies an unerring faith in a spiritual power.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Following God requires living by faith. That means: trusting the Holy Spirit to guide us when we don’t see how all the pieces fit together; believing that God always works for our good and His glory; and desiring to please our Father.

What does Faith look like to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment