Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Faith – What is it?


Hebrews 11:3 By faith, we see the world called into existence by God’s word, what we see created by what we don’t see. (MSG)

Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a person (as in their ability), thing, deity, in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, or view (e.g. having strong political faith) even without empirical evidence.

Recently an old acquaintance and I connected back up. We have since struck up a new friendship, mostly via social media. After a few months he told me something that got me thinking. He said he wished he had my faith, but can’t seem to get from where my head is to there.

You see faith is not about the head at all. That’s where the problem lays, especially men; we try to figure out, in our minds, how to go through this world. Having faith is all about leading with your heart. 

Faith is not about these things, it is all about knowing that there is a God and knowing that He sent Jesus to live on this earth and die for our sins. But again, you must believe that through your heart. It’s like when someone tells you to follow your gut instincts. That’s actually your heart telling you what to do, not your gut or your brain. Once you begin to follow your heart you will be amazed how God will show you how to live and especially how to love.

2 Corinthians 5:7 For we live by faith, not by sight. (NIV)

For example, you may have children and grandchildren which you love unconditionally and are very pleased when they warm your heart. As our children get older they sometimes break our hearts. We get frustrated with them, but when they come home and do things that we like, it ignites that flame in your heart and warms you up. You then want to do more for them.

That is the same type of relationship that God wants to have with us. He is ever forgiving and loves it when His children come home and follow His lead. To follow His lead you must follow with your heart and listen to Him. How do we do that? We get into a quiet place and talk to God. Yep, just start talking to Him and wait for His responses. How do we listen for His response? A lot of times it will come in reading the Bible. You will start to see scripture that pops out to you. Also, you will begin to see things that you will think that are coincidental to what you may have been talking to God about. With God there are no coincidences, this is a step of faith. 

Ephesians 2: 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- (NIV)

I know this sounds all corny, but I can truthfully tell you that He has never failed me since I accepted that Jesus Christ as my Savior back in February, 1981. Oh, I have failed Him countless times, but He always forgives when I come back to Him.

Once you accept this fact the more things in your life will change. God works in His time and a lot of depends on how we live for Him. It’s the same way I was saying earlier with our children and grandchildren. The more they follow your lead and please you, the more we want to do for them.

Don’t let time slip by you without living life for the right reasons. God has so much to give you and all you have to do is ask Him. Talk to Him and listen to Him, every step of the way. He wants you to do well, just like you want your children to do well.

But the first step is admitting you need help and that God is THE only one that can give you that help. You do that by praying to God, something like this, but the exact words are not important as long as it comes from your heart: 


"Dear Father, I believe you sent Jesus to save me from sin. Today I confess my sins and accept Jesus as the Lord of my life and my personal savior. I turn my life over to You today. Please make me a new creature through Your Holy Spirit and change my heart. Help me walk in Your ways as  You reveal yourself to me. Thank You Jesus for dying for my sins. I accept Your gift of salvation today and confess that You are Lord." 


Then what? Well, there are three ways:  read the Bible, attend a church that adheres to sound Biblical teachings, and to spend time in prayer. Ask God to reveal Himself to you through the Holy Spirit and to draw you to Him.


Also get plugged in to a support group, which starts at a church. Religion doesn't matter, but you do need to find one that follows the teachings of the Bible. Do not over think this, God will show you the way, trust Him. That’s the faith.


Once you start living through your heart, things just look differently. You will notice a sparkle in someone’s eye and wonder do they know God? Someone will hold the door for you and say have a nice day, you will think, I’ll bet they are a Christian. You will notice people actually enjoy their jobs and do it very well, however meaningless the job may seem. Yep, they know God.

You only have to please God and once you do that, He will take care of everything else. Have faith.


2 Samuel 23:5 “If my house were not right with God, surely he would not have made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part; surely he would not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire.”  (NIV)

Two decisions. 
One choice. 
Where will you spend eternity? 
The countdown to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment