Friday, July 11, 2014

Religion

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (NIV)

Religion – What is that? Merriam-Webster defines it as: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods.

God did not invent religion He invented man and man invented religion. But a relationship with God cannot be found through religion. In fact, religion is the biggest roadblock to seeking a relationship with God. Religion is simply man trying to reach out to God by doing something that he thinks will please God. Because EVERY religion is works based, meaning that if I can do enough, say enough, pray enough, give enough, sacrifice enough perhaps God will show me favor.

In my humble opinion I believe that today’s “religions” are just false man-made structures constructed of vain beliefs and practices, rather than any sort of relationship. Granted they do offer a way to learn about establishing a relationship with Jesus and God, but all “religions” have their own “requirements” for membership.

Now I know that some will refute that and say that a relationship with Jesus is a religion. So be it.

My main point here is that, if you believe in Heaven and Hell and are afraid of where you will end up, religion will not get you to Heaven. The only way to get to Heaven is through knowing Jesus. Religions or churches offer you a place to worship and fellowship, but they will not get you any closer to Heaven.

Micah 6:6-8 With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God?  Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? 7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (NIV)

You MUST have a personal relationship with Jesus in order to enter Heaven, because He is the only way to the Father, God.

John 10:9 Jesus tells us I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. (NIV)

I know that it can be very difficult to believe that you can a relationship with someone you cannot see or touch, but you can have a relationship with Him by talking to Him. You simply begin by talking to God and reading the Bible for His responses. Then you can go an act on it.

Yeah right!? No seriously, try it. You will be astonished by what God can do.



Matthew 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment