Monday, April 8, 2013

A Time for Everything

Spring as sprung
 

Spring has finally sprung in Virginia this week with temperatures reaching into the 70’s and even teasing us with some 80’s. This has been the longest, coldest winter that I can remember while living in Virginia, over the past 17 winters. Usually by early April the pear trees have bloomed, the cherry blossoms are out in full force, and we have already mowed the grass a few times. But not this year, we just mowed for the first time this week and the Bradford Pear trees behind our house just open their flowers.

But each season has its time and a time for each season.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

While at church this week we sang “How Great Thou Art” and we sang the second verse it dawned on me, we all live in God’s time and that the seasons are God’s.

Here’s the 2nd verse:

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:


I sang with a new found joy after realizing this. Then a young man and young woman performed Beautiful by Mercy Me. What a great song and this further emphasized that everything belongs to God and everything is beautiful.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

So, my desire for warmer weather is why? Well, I sure do not savor the season that I need to mow the grass every 7-10 days or run the A/C all hours of the day. However, I would like some warmer weather in which to spend more time outside, barbecuing, throwing horseshoes, swimming, and generally enjoying the out of doors.

All this is said to affirm, at least to me, that God is the one in control of the weather, as well as everything else. He has a reason for the different weather patterns and it may not fit our desires.

Daniel 2:20-23 “Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. 21 He changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. 22 He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. 23 I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king.”

I have already forgot how cold it was this past Thursday evening, when we all sat huddled under blankets in the bleachers watching Colton play his first T-Ball game. GO GRASSHOPPERS!

Just as I write this Jayne text me that it was 78 degrees! I think I may have to open the pool sooner than planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment