Monday, September 10, 2012

Talking God



This week’s message is primarily for the Christians out there and is intended to raise our awareness on how non believers see us.

As we gathered in our Sunday school class it dawned on me that we always greet one another and discuss the events of the week.   We talk about sports, we talk about events around town, and we even talk about our families. But we never tell each other what God did for us this week.  Oh we may get around to it as we continue through the course of the Bible study.

Why is that? Don't we like and get encouraged by hearing what God has done for someone else?  We are missionaries, so why are we not looking for God opportunities?

1 Kings 19:11-13  The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

Perhaps you’ve heard the story of the man who had lost his keys and he was standing at the edge of the street right underneath a street lamp looking for his keys. A neighbor saw him and walked over to help. After a few minutes he said to him, “exactly where was it you dropped your keys?” He says well I was in my house. He says well then why are you looking out here? He says because the lights are better out here.

It is true that you will never find what you are looking for unless you look in the right place. Many people today are looking for God but they are looking for Him in all the wrong places.

Where are you looking for God in your life? Do you look only in the obvious places or do you look for God opportunities in everything?  What is better than the Good News of God? Nothing! So why do we not share what God is doing for us in lives?

I know that I am guilty and this message may be just for me.

Let me share 2 things that happened to me this past week that I have to explain was a God thing.

1. I was meeting with a perspective new customer this past week and felt real good about the meeting. Shortly thereafter I went back to his office to thank him, when I saw an old friend sitting in his office. This old friend is also a man of faith and learned that they were discussing me. I really didn’t think too much about it, since they work together, but as I was driving away it dawned on me, God sent him in there to talk about me! So whatever happens from this meeting, it was ordained by God. I have no doubts on that.

2. The second thing, I am not too proud about. I was in church on Sunday and during the end of the sermon the pastor invited us to all come forward and pick up some literature that applied to the sermon. I saw a woman and a young man approach the front and it appeared that the woman was a bit distraught. She sat down on the front row away from the center of the altar. I kept my eye on her as I thought she would go forward. During the altar call there was a lot going on and she appeared to be moving forward, but everyone else was moving the other way. I sensed that she needed to talk to someone and pray. By the time I realized that no one was available for her to talk to, I thought I should go and seek her out. I did not.

All I can say is, God I am so sorry I did not reach out to help a hurting member. Please forgive me, as I am certain that I should have done something.

So this past week, I can absolutely say that God had an effect on my life and those were just the most obvious things. I am sure that He is working in my life, ALWAYS.

I challenge each of you to look for and tell someone about what God did for you this week.

Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.


No comments:

Post a Comment