Sunday, March 24, 2024

Be Still

Exodus 14:13-14 Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

Psalm 37: Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalm 46:10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” 

Back in 1992 the group Alabama came out with a I'm in a Hurry (And Don't Know Why). Your remember that right?

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh, I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
Even I'm in a hurry and don't know why

Don't know why? I have to drive so fast
My car has nothing to prove
It's not new
But it'll do 0 to 60 in 5.2, oh

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh, I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why

You were singing that right? 

Why are we in a hurry? Are our lives just that busy we think we must speed things up to get through the day, the week, or the month? Slow down, be still and let God help. 

If you’re like most people, when you want something, you want it fast. But is fast always better? Not always. Yes we do live in a high-strung, neurotic, impatient age. We hurry when there is no reason to hurry—just to be hurrying. This fast-paced age has produced more problems and less morality than previous generations, and it has given all of us frazzled nerves.

You want to slow down but cannot figure how to stop this runaway train. So just trust God’s timing.
When things aren’t happening as quickly as you hoped, it’s easy to get impatient. But do you know what impatience really is? It’s a lack of trust.

When we are impatient, it’s like we are saying, “God, I don’t really trust you. I don’t think you have my best interest at heart. I’m in a hurry for something, and I don’t believe you know when I need it.” We get worried, we get hurried, and we start scurrying—because we don’t trust God to do things at the right time and in the right way. So instead of trusting his timing, we struggle and strive.

Ecclesiastes 3:9-14 What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that people will fear him.

God has a plan for our life and most of us know that. But He also has a timetable for our life. Here’s the thing: God never explains his timetable. And sometimes that can be really difficult to accept. One of the most painful things in life is when we are in a hurry and God is not. 

As a follower of Jesus Christ, we have to learn the same thing: God’s delay is not his denial. He has a plan and a timetable. And his timing is perfect.

May my heart be still amid all the turmoil, as I remember Your patience with me, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment