Friday, June 16, 2017

Staying focused

Then they reached Jericho, and as Jesus and his disciples left town, a large crowd followed him. A blind beggar named Bartimaeus (son of Timaeus) was sitting beside the road. When Bartimaeus heard that Jesus of Nazareth was nearby, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” “Be quiet!” many of the people yelled at him. But he only shouted louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” When Jesus heard him, he stopped and said, “Tell him to come here.” So they called the blind man. “Cheer up,” they said. “Come on, he’s calling you!” Bartimaeus threw aside his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus. “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked. “My Rabbi,” the blind man said, “I want to see!” And Jesus said to him, “Go, for your faith has healed you.” Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus down the road.”  Mark 10:46-52 NLT

As I write this I have not been to my home church in 3 weeks, only because life happens. This morning I was listening to a sermon on the radio when I thought about how I see things more focused when I am walking in step with God than when I am not.

It is kind of like not wearing your reading glasses and you see things fuzzy. You folks over 40 can understand that, right? Well the same goes for me when looking at the world without my God glasses on. The light, the colors; it is not the same vividness as when God shines His light upon it.

The same lesson from Bartimaeus can be applied today for you and me. Bartimaeus was a blind beggar but he was focused on Jesus. He knew he was there but could not see Him. There he sat on the side of a road in Jericho calling out to Jesus for mercy. But Jesus seemed to just pass him by.

The Bible tells us that many people around the beggar told him to be quiet. But he was focused and just kept calling out to Jesus. Finally, the man was told “Cheer up,” they said. “Come on, he’s calling you!”  (Mark 10:49) 

After a short exchange, Jesus told Bartimaeus his faith had healed him, and he became whole and able to see.

It is so easy for me to lose focus. But I want to have this extreme focus Bartimaeus had, so when Jesus is passing by through my everyday life, I’m ready. I don’t want to miss miracle moments with Jesus because I allow life to distract and detour me.

Stay focused on calling out to Jesus, stay where you are, He sees you.

Persevere like Bartimaeus. He had the benefit of encountering Jesus face-to-face in that moment, but through the work of the Holy Spirit we now have the benefit of having Him with us at all times. Keep praying. Keep meditating on the Truth of God’s Word. Stay the course. Keep speaking His Name.

The last verse of this story says, “… Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus down the road. “(Mark 10:52b). I smiled when I read that. It’s as if Bartimaeus thought, "I am the proof of Jesus’ touch and so where He goes, I will go!"

What has Jesus done in you that others need to see? Pass on the proof.


No matter how blurry life seems to be, focus on Jesus will always bring us freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment