Friday, November 27, 2015

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas

There are many people out there saying “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”, but what does the word holiday really mean?

The Etymology of the word "holiday" comes from the Old English word "hāligdæg.”  The word originally referred only to special religious days.  In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.  The word derived from the notion of "Holy Day," and gradually evolved to its current form.

So, I ask again is Christmas a holiday?  In the technical aspect it is, but as the word has evolved into its present day use, it has also become unpleasant to some Christians.  But I think we can all agree that Christmas has become central to the Christmas and holiday season.

December 25th is the day that we celebrate the birth of Jesus, although the actual day is not known.

Luke 2:6-7 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son.  She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.

There are also many campaigns out there in attempt to “Keep Christ in Christmas”.  I know of at least one church that has launched a website to track those businesses that are Naughty or Nice depending on how they greet you.

Instead of getting upset of someone wishing you a “Happy Holiday”, take the opportunity to explain to them that Thanksgiving and the 4th of July are holidays. Explain that this time of year is when you celebrate the birth of your savior Jesus Christ and it is more important to you than just a holiday. Then tell them one thing that God done for you this Christmas season.

Because what greater gift is there besides spreading the good news of Jesus and his birth?  Because, isn’t that the real reason for the season is all about?

Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

What has God done for me this year?  God has opened my eyes wider to see and hear Him wherever I go.  God has also blessed me with a pastor that encourages me to push the envelope on my faith.  Faith in Jesus is what gets me through each day.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment