Friday, November 30, 2012

Finishing Strong

Hebrews 12: 1-3 So then let’s also run the race that is laid out in front of us, since we have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us. Let’s throw off any extra baggage, get rid of the sin that trips us up, 2 and fix our eyes on Jesus, faith’s pioneer and perfecter. He endured the cross, ignoring the shame, for the sake of the joy that was laid out in front of him, and sat down at the right side of God’s throne. 3 Think about the one who endured such opposition from sinners so that you won’t be discouraged and you won’t give up.
The older I get the more I feel like I have accomplished quite a bit in my lifetime. I began a career in aviation with 4 years in the United States Air Force to learn the trade of being an Air Traffic Controller, spent 30 years in the FAA applying that trade, and now going on 4 years as an expert in my field working as a support contractor to the FAA. My lifelong career has given me a sense of accomplishment.  Another great accomplishment for me is my marriage to Jayne, which is going on 34 years. This is a much bigger accomplishment than my career, if you don’t believe me, ask Jayne. Yet still is raising our 2 children into fine adults. 
But there have been other times when I started things and then gave up because things got tough or things got out of my control. I am not sure why I did these things it might have been out of fear or lack of faith. One of the things that I started then quit for a while was serving God. For several years I thought I was serving God by volunteering at church or teaching Sunday school. Then I quit. Again, not sure why, but probably I was really not truly serving God, but trying to fit God into my life.
Then about 7 years ago I began feeling a strong urge to serve God again. I remember this feeling began about 3 years prior to me retiring from the FAA.  I remember the feeling like God was calling for me to either start something or finish something.  As I look back now, He was preparing me for the extra time that I will have when I do fully retire from my aviation career and continue to serve Him.
Hebrews 12:7-9 God is educating you; that’s why you must never drop out. He’s treating you as dear children. This trouble you’re in isn't punishment; it’s training, the normal experience of children. Only irresponsible parents leave children to fend for themselves. Would you prefer an irresponsible God? We respect our own parents for training and not spoiling us, so why not embrace God’s training so we can truly live?
We should never feel like we can fully retire from life, let alone serving God.  Does anyone ever retire from faithfully serving God?  Does senior citizenship indicate uselessness?  Absolutely not! 
More and more, we live in a culture that tends to devalue us as we age.  It is very easy to simply retreat from serving God, because: “I’ve done my time.”  Others begin to get negative and allow their aging to impact their positive influence on the world around them.  Others begin to allow their health to define their self-worth or contributions to God’s work.  The Bible knows no such thing as “retirement”!  Look at Moses; he was 80 when he began leading the people out of Egypt.
As long as you have breath, you are called to faithfully respond to God with your time, treasures, and talents.  Are you opting for total withdrawal these days…..playing golf or sitting in front of a television set all day as if you are no longer needed by the rest of the world?  Have you allowed physical limitations to lead you to resignation? 
Most of the true heroes in scripture were senior citizens!  Don’t allow culture or your own limited thoughts about yourself limit what God still wants to do with your life!  You might be in a wheelchair……you might not remember what you use to remember….you might be living in an assisted living facility….all of your friends might be dead and gone………….but you are not!  As long as you have breath, God is counting on you! 
You have life experiences and wisdom that will benefit the generations behind you!  God has given you lots of free time that many do not possess!  Today, more than ever, in whatever way you can……keep running the race….run your race of faith all the way to the finish line!  Leave a legacy of faith that finishes strong!
God is the same God who gave me strength in my teens and in my middle years.  Now I trust Him to provide in my senior years as well.  My greatest days of faith are yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment